Learn the best ways to troubleshoot QuickBooks error code 6123
A growing number of business owners are gravitating toward using QuickBooks software to efficiently complete their daily accounting tasks as time goes by.Without a doubt, QuickBooks can revolutionise the manual accounting and bookkeeping processes used by business owners, but it is also important to remember that even this cutting-edge software occasionally makes mistakes.One common error that has been observed by users is the QuickBooks error code 6123. This error typically occurs when users try to open the company file. Various other facts and facets are associated with this error code, which will be discussed later in this article.
It is strongly advised that you read through this section in its entirety. However, getting in touch with an experienced QuickBooks error support team is a better option to find a solution. Contact our knowledgeable and qualified team of QB specialists by calling our hotline at +1-866-987-9950.We will make sure that this problem on your system remains a thing of the past by guiding you through the complete process. On that encouraging note, let’s go on!
What is QuickBooks Error Code 6123, 0?
Users who attempt to restore the company file from a backup frequently get QuickBooks error number 6123. The actions associated with the company file are disrupted by this error code, which appears suddenly. Opening a company file from the multi-user network could also result in the same issue.The problem might also show up when restoring the backup or when opening the file directly from the network. There is a “Problem connecting to Server,” according to the error message that displays with this error code. The following appears on your screen:
|Problem||Error: -6123, 0: We’re sorry, but QuickBooks can’t open your company file.|
|Problem Connection to Server||Error 6123, 0: “Connection to the QuickBooks company file has been lost”|
Because fixing this error can be challenging, we strongly advise users to turn off their antivirus software and any additional protection software they may have installed before starting the troubleshooting techniques listed below.
Important: Please be aware that the issue with QuickBooks desktop may be caused by your use of McAfee antivirus software. It is advised to consult McAfee or keep reading if you are already aware that the security software provider is independent of Intuit. The actions described in this article may be useful if they do not use McAfee, though.
Factors that cause QuickBooks Error 6123
There are several potential causes of QuickBooks error code 6123, 0, some of which are listed below:
- Damaged Windows can be one of the reasons for error code 6123, 0
- There might be a damaged company file.
- If you have restored the company file from an external storage device.
- A disrupted network connection from the host server can be another valid reason.
- Firewall settings may be interrupting the QuickBooks software while opening the company file.
- This troublesome Quickbooks error may also appear If some antivirus program installed on your system hinders the smooth communication process between QuickBooks and the server.
- QuickBooks data files or program files are corrupted or damaged, thereby invoking this error.
- Damaged Windows user and QBW files can also be a potential cause of this QuickBooks error.
Procedure to Fix Error 6123, 0 in QuickBooks Desktop
After identifying the potential reasons of this error, you should be aware of the many solutions that can help you fix QuickBooks error code 6123, 0. Several of the most effective and practical methods have been noted. So let’s check out the methods of correction one by one and eliminate this error from the system once and for all without spending any more time.
Condition 1: Error 6123, 0 appears while opening or upgrading your company file
This error may show up on the screen in a variety of situations. When users attempt to open their company files using QuickBooks, Error 6123 frequently appears. If this is the situation in your instance, use the techniques listed below.
Method 1: Renaming the company file or removing any special characters from the name
The problem is frequently observed if the corporate file name contains any special characters or if the file name exceeds the allowed limit. As a result, you must make sure that:
- The company file name shouldn’t exceed the allowed 30 characters.
- Also, it should not contain any special type of character or space in the file name.
Method 2: Use QuickBooks tool hub program to fix this error
Utilizing the QuickBooks tool Hub is another approach that can help you fix this mistake while opening the company file. This application contains a variety of options to address different QuickBooks error codes. The following are the instructions for configuring and using the tool:
Step 1: Download and Run QuickBooks Tools Hub
The steps to download and run the tool are as under:
- At first, close the QuickBooks accounting software.
- Download the QuickBooks tools hub file. Once done with that, save the file somewhere you can easily find it out.
- Open the file that was downloaded in the above step.
- Carry out the on-screen prompts, in order to Install and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Double-click the Icon on the Windows desktop to open the tool hub.
It’s important to remember that if you can’t find the icon, you should search Windows for QuickBooks Tool hub and then choose the software.
Step 2: Use QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
Particularly when it comes to frequent QuickBooks desktop data errors, the QuickBooks file doctor application can assist you in the automatic scanning, diagnosis, and correction of the issues. Follow the instructions below to use the utility after installing it.
- Select the Company file issues option in the QuickBooks Tools Hub.
- After that, hit a click on the option to Run QuickBooks File Doctor tool.
- When the File doctor tool opens up, you are recommended to select the Company file from the drop down list. In case you are unable to find it, then click on Browse option to search the system for the file i.e. [your company name].qbw.
- Select the option to Check your file only and then hit Continue to diagnose the file.
- Enter the QuickBooks admin password, followed by hitting Continue. Once done with this, the QuickBooks file doctor tool will begin with the repairing process on its own, which might take some time.
- To end the process, go for the company file from the list and then hit a click on the Open QuickBooks option.
It should be mentioned that the error is fixed if the file can be opened without any problems. However, once you’ve opened the corporate file, be cautious to backup your data.
Step 3: Running Quick Fix my program from tool hub program
The “Quick Fix My Program” option of the Tool Hub stands out among its plethora of features. You must follow the instructions below in order to use this functionality to eliminate QuickBooks error 6123:
- Click on the Programs Problems option in the Tool Hub.
- Select the Quick Fix my Program tab. It might take a minute to run. In case you are having multiple versions of QuickBooks installed on the system, then it might take more than a minute to open up.
- When Quick Fix my Program is finished, you need to open QuickBooks and then verify the issue is fixed.
Method 3: Renaming the .ND and .TLG file
Renaming the Network and Transaction Log files for QuickBooks is a successful strategy for addressing this error if the aforementioned techniques involving the usage of the Quick Fix My Program feature and the QuickBooks Tool hub prove ineffective. These files have the respective file extensions “.ND” and “.TLG.” The following are the steps to rename them:
- You need to first open up the folder that contains the company file.
- After that, choose the Corresponding .ND file.
- Next, right-click on the Company file and then hit on Rename option.
- Also, rename the .ND file to .ND.OLD
- After that, select the .TLG file and rename it in the same way as you renamed the Network (.ND) file.
- Now rename it to .TLG.OLD.
- At last, make sure to open the QuickBooks company file.
Setting proper folder permissions.
The folder settings may need to be changed to full access. The Windows settings and the user logon affect this.
Method 4: Creating a new Window User
The likelihood of a faulty Windows user login could be increased. In that situation, you can follow the procedures below:
- Open Control Panel and hit click on the Create new user option in the User icon.
- Thereafter, select the Administrator for user type.
- Soon after, log out of the existing.
- Followed by rebooting the system, and then log in using the New user credentials.
- Now move the company file to the desktop.
- Lastly, open QuickBooks and access the company file.
Method 5: Restart your system in Safe Mode
- Restarting and using your system in Safe mode will stop all the 3rd party applications from restricting QuickBooks desktop from running and operating without any disruption.
- You can also temporarily disable 3rd party security programs in safe mode.
Open QuickBooks and attempt to open your company files in Safe Mode once you have verified both of these processes.
Method 6: Disabling the system security programs
If your computer has an antivirus programme installed, you might want to turn it off before reopening QuickBooks and accessing the company file.
If you use McAfee security software, that could be the root of the problem. The antivirus software frequently interacts with business files and flags them as malicious. You might be unable to access the company file because of this. In this case, you must first turn off your antivirus software before opening the corporate file.
Method 7: Re-installation of QuickBooks application
Before uninstalling QuickBooks from the computer, users should do a reinstallation of the accounting programme in the unfortunate event that the solutions described above fail to resolve Error 6123. The following are the simple steps for the same:
- Click on the Windows start button and from there, visit the Control panel.
- Uninstall the current QuickBooks from the Control panel tab.
- Download QuickBooks variant that you wish to utilize on the system or use the QuickBooks installation CD.
- Install the QuickBooks in the Normal mode.
- Enter the product ID and license number at there.
- After entering the credentials, QuickBooks will be registered and activated to use.
- Lastly, try opening the company file.
Method 8: Moving company file to a different location
Accessing the corporate file from a different location is one inconsistent, yet efficient, strategy for fixing the mistake. To do this, copy the file from its original position and then paste it to a different destination (say Desktop). The steps outlined below ought to be helpful.
- In the inception, move to the Folder where the company files are located. You can use the File Explorer for that, or manually head to the QuickBooks folder in the C drive, and look for the company file folder therein.
- Also, right-click on the Company file and select the option to Copy the file.
- Verify that you copy the right company file with the extension .QBW
- Copy the file to the desktop, and then hit a right click on the Blank space, and then choose New and folder options, respectively.
- Open that New folder and then click on the option to Paste the file there.
- Toward the end, you need to open the QuickBooks program and access the company file from the new location.
Method 9: Restoring the company file
- It is supposed to move the Backup file to the local hard drive. And also, avoid opening them from an online storage folder or remove the drive.
- Carry out the required steps to Restore the company file from the backup.
Condition 2: In case the Error 6123 is encountered while restoring a backup (.qbb) on a new system
When restoring a company file that has been previously backed up, this error may also appear. This section will fix the problem on your computer if you run into this error while restoring the backup.
Method 1: Create a portable company file (.qbm) to restore your company file
It is advised that you make a portable company file in this circumstance. After that, you must use it to recover the corporate file. The following steps should be taken when using this method:
- First, you need to open the QuickBooks desktop on the same system which was used to Create the backup company file.
- After that, open the Original company file.
- The next step is to Create a portable file of the company file.
- Also, open the QuickBooks desktop on the new system.
- Restore the company file using the Portable copy, rather than using the backup file.
Method 2: Use the QuickBooks auto data recovery(ADR)
By using the auto data recovery feature, you can restore your company file. Check to see if this file still functions by restoring your.adr copy. The likelihood that this error will be fixed using this approach is extremely high. To learn how to use QuickBooks auto data recovery, click here.
Condition 3: Manually configuring multi-user setup
If you making use of multi-user in QuickBooks, then you can configure its settings using the steps listed below:
Step 1: Renaming the .ND and .TLG files
Getting the Network and transaction log files renamed can fix QuickBooks Error 6123. The instructions are as follows:
- At first, open the folder that harbors the company file.
- Within that folder, select the .ND file of the company file.
- You then need to right-click on .ND file and then click on the Rename option.
- Add .old at the end of the file name.
- You then need to repeat the same process for .TLG file.
- Open the QuickBooks desktop company file through QuickBooks.
- Re-scan the company file making use of the database server manager.
- First, stop the database server process.
In case of Windows 10 & 8
The steps to end the database process in Windows 8 and 10 are as under:
- You should press Windows key and then type in Task manager.
- Click on the Task manager and then click on More details.
- Once done with that, you should select the Details tab.
- Locate the QBDBMgrN.exe and also right click the same.
- Select End task.
- Repeat the same steps until all the instances of QBDBMgrN.exe have been stopped.
- Close the Task manager.
For Windows 7
For disabling the database process via task manager in Windows 7, the instructions are given below:
- In case you are using Windows 7, then in that case, we suggest you to press Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys.
- Select the option to open the Task manager.
- Click on the Image name column heading from the Processes tab.
- Right-click the QBDBMgrN.exe and click on End task.
- Repeat the steps to stop all instances of QBDBMgrN.exe.
- Finally, close the Task manager.
Restarting the QuickBooks services
- Here you are supposed to press Windows + R keys, in order to open the Run window.
- Type service.msc and then press Enter tab.
- Select the Name column heading to sort the entries alphabetically from the Services window.
- Right click on the Convenient service for QuickBooks desktop version and the choose Start tab.
- QuickBooks Desktop 2023 or QB Enterprise 23.0: QuickBooks DB33
- QuickBooks Desktop 2022 or QB Enterprise 22.0: QuickBooks DB32
- QuickBooks Desktop 2021 or QB Enterprise 21.0: QuickBooks DB31
- QuickBooks Desktop 2020 or QB Enterprise 20.0: QuickBooks DB30
- QuickBooks Desktop 2019 or QB Enterprise 19.0: QuickBooksDB29
- QuickBooks Desktop 2018 or QB Enterprise 18.0: QuickBooksDB28
- QuickBooks Desktop 2017 or QB desktop enterprise 17.0: QuickBooksDB27
- QuickBooks Desktop 2016 or QB Desktop Enterprise 16.0: QuickBooksDB26
- Last step is to Close services.
Re-scanning company files
- You are required to open QuickBooks database server manager.
- To scan, you need to Browse for the location of the QuickBooks company file.
- Also close QuickBooks QuickBooks database server manager.
- The final step is to open the company file.
Step 2: Setting up proper folder permissions
It should be remembered that the host system has the folder containing the QuickBooks desktop company file. Additionally, all users must receive Complete authority, including that of the database server manager user.
Step 3: Moving the company file to a different location
You can move the file to a different location and open it from that location to determine if there is a problem with the file path.
Step 4: Checking Firewall & Antivirus Ports
The firewall and antivirus software may occasionally prevent the programme from accessing the company file. For QuickBooks desktop, you can configure firewall and internet security settings before receiving additional prompts.
Step 5: Toggle Hosting settings in QuickBooks
- At first, open the company file.
- Also, choose File > and then choose the option to Switch to single-user mode.
- After that, choose the File > Utilities and also select Stop hosting multi-user access.
- You are then required select File > Utilities > Choose host multi-user access.
- Finally, you must select the File and go for Switch to multi-user mode.
There is no need for complex technology to resolve QuickBooks problem number 6123. Implementing the straightforward steps outlined above can assist you in solving the issue. However, if none of the solutions you tried were successful and this error still causes you problems, feel free to contact our QuickBooks enterprise support staff.
Contact us by calling our customer service number, which is +1-866-987-9950, and let us take care of the problem for you. Whenever you need us, our trained accounting professionals are here to help.