Because Intuit updates QuickBooks frequently, it manages business payroll quite effectively. These upgrades add new tools to the tray and repair bugs and other problems with the software. Some users, however, see the QuickBooks problem PS033 when downloading the online payroll updates. Its error notice, which claims that QuickBooks couldn’t read the payroll setup files, can also appear on the screen while opening the company file. In the blog post below, its causes and solutions are discussed.
What is QuickBooks Error PS033?
A corrupt file in the “C:Program FilesIntuitQuickBooks 20nnComponentsPayrollCPS” folder is the cause of the QuickBooks issue PS033. Important payroll files needed to update payroll and access the company information can be found in the CPS folder. This is why you see the problem notice “QuickBooks can’t read your payroll setup files. [Error PS033]” if any of these files in the CPS folder become corrupt. Users are advised to write down the problem code and select the Help option in the error message to get troubleshooting advice.
You will be taken to the support website to find several options to fix the error once you select the Help option. No matter how many times you attempt to fix the issue using the straightforward recommendations on the help website, the issue keeps reappearing. You will need to carry out advanced troubleshooting, which you can discover in this post, in order to permanently fix the fault.
What are the Causes of the QuickBooks Desktop Error PS033?
Your system may experience the payroll update problem PS033 for a variety of reasons. These are the main causes of “QuickBooks can’t read your payroll setup files.” Below are some examples of the [Error PS033]” error message in QuickBooks.
- The QuickBooks CPS folder or files inside it are corrupted or severely damaged.
- The QuickBooks Desktop application is not updated to the latest version.
- The UAC settings are turned on.
- The company file has some damaged entries.
- Some other program is interrupting the payroll updates.
What are the Solutions to try Resolving the QuickBooks Error PS033?
Below are the steps to help you fix the QuickBooks payroll error PS033.
Solution- 1: Get the Latest Payroll Tax Table
Try updating to the most recent tax table and payroll update using the methods below if you see the error message when trying to open your company file.
- Go to QuickBooks and select the Employees tab.
- Select the Get Payroll Updates option and click on the Download entire payroll update option.
- At last, click on Update.
Solution- 2: Update the Name of the QuickBooks CPS Folder
You can rename your CPS folder if it has one or more corrupted files so QuickBooks will make a brand-new folder with clean files if necessary.
- Exit QuickBooks and follow the file path – C:\ Program Files\ Intuit\ QuickBooks 20XX\ Components\ Payroll\ CPS.
- Right-click on the CPS folder and select Rename.
- Clear the name and type CPSGHJ and press the Enter key to save the changes.
- Open QuickBooks again and try to download the payroll updates.
Solution- 3: Update the QuickBooks Desktop Application
Issues like the QuickBooks company file error PS033 might also result from using an outdated version of QuickBooks. To download the updates for your QB application, follow the instructions listed below.
- To begin with, close your company file and QuickBooks.
- Go to the Desktop and right-click on the QB icon.
- Click on the Run as administrator option and go to the Help menu.
- Choose the Update QuickBooks Desktop option.
- Go to the Options tab and select the Mark All option, followed by clicking on the Save button.
- Navigate to the Update Now tab and tick the Reset Updates option.
- Select Get Updates, and once the update downloads completely, close and reopen QuickBooks.
- Choose Yes on the installation prompt to install the updates.
- After the updates are installed, restart your system.
Solution- 4: Turn off the UAC Settings
When a user tries to make an unauthorised change to the operating system, the UAC prompts appear. After that, it requests the admin password and stops all further activities. By following the instructions listed below, you can disable the UAC.
- Go to the Start menu and choose the Control Panel.
- Click on User Accounts and choose it again in the next window.
- Click on Change User Account Control Settings and choose Continue.
- Turn the slider down to the Never Notify option and click on the OK
- Restart your computer system and try to download the updates again.
Solution- 5: Check for File Corruption through Verify Data Utility
If your data file is faulty or damaged, QuickBooks may have trouble opening it. To be sure, take the actions listed below to inspect the company file for damage.
- Go to QuickBooks, and under the File menu, hover your mouse over Utilities.
- Select the Verify Data option, and after scanning the company file, if the results show problems in the file, you need to use the Rebuild Data option.
- Go back to the File menu and click on the Utilities drop-down.
- Quickly select Rebuild Data this time and hit OK to the prompt asking to backup your data.
- Finally, choose OK on the “Rebuild has completed” message.
- Verify the data again to check if the damage is completely fixed without delay.
Solution- 6: Download the Payroll Update in Safe Mode
If another program is interrupting the payroll update, follow the steps mentioned below to download the updates in safe mode.
- Exit from QuickBooks and shut down your computer system.
- Reboot it and hold the Shift key while clicking on the Power icon.
- Click on Restart, and after the computer restarts, go to the Choose an Option screen and select Troubleshoot.
- Click on the Advanced option and select Startup Settings.
- Select Restart and after the computer restarts, click on the fifth option from the list.
- Once the computer opens in Safe mode, download the payroll updates.
- If the download is successful, restart the computer to Normal Mode and download the update again.
Try restarting your computer once more and running QuickBooks with admin access if the problem is still not fixed. To check if the problem has been fixed, do the identical action that before resulted in the error number PS033 by right-clicking the QuickBooks Desktop icon and choosing Run as Administrator.
Here, we’d like to wrap up our blog post on QuickBooks Error PS033. If none of the suggested remedies work, we’d want to offer our readers one final option. Call the helpdesk at +1-866-987-995 to speak with a trained specialist who can assist you.